Saddle Trial Policy
Congratulations on your decision to purchase a saddle! We understand an important part of your saddle decision is verifying not only proper fit on your horse but also comfort and correct fit for you as the rider. In an effort to help you with these decisions, we do allow trials on our new, demo and used saddles. In return for this accommodation, it is important that you assume full responsibility for the safety and condition on any saddle you take on trial. The length of a trial and allowed usage of a trial saddle varies with whether the saddle is new, demo or used and is detailed below.
Customer Responsibilities and Trial Period:
- Skylands Saddlery will charge your credit card for the full amount of the saddle(s) to go out on trial and for all shipping charges. You are responsible for all outgoing and return shipping charges. All saddles are sent UPS Ground unless otherwise specified. You are responsible for any additional charges associated with expediting the shipment. All shipping charges are non-refundable.
- Skylands Saddlery makes every attempt to keep saddle availability accurate. In the event that a saddle has recently sold and has not yet been taken off any advertised space or has been taken on trial, your inquiry for that saddle will be responded to via email or by provided phone number within 24 hours of you contacting us. If and when the saddle does come back to Skylands Saddlery and is available for trial and if you are next on our wait list, we will notify you and put the saddle on hold on your behalf for 24 hours.
- It is your responsibility to call Skylands Saddlery at 908-782-1944 by the end of the trial period to indicate whether or not you are keeping the saddle. If we do not hear from you we will consider the saddle as purchased.
- A used saddle not being purchased must be received back in our store- if shipped to you, within 15 days from the date Skylands shipped to you and, if picked up at the store or dropped off at your barn, within seven days from the pickup or drop off date. The saddle must be in the same condition as it was when it left our store.
- A new or demo saddle not being purchased must be received back in our store - if shipped to you, within nine days from the date Skylands shipped to you and if picked up in our store or dropped off at your barn, within three days from the pickup or drop off date. The saddle must be in the same condition as it was when it left our store.
- All used saddles are sold as is. Although we inspect saddles we recommend having any used saddle evaluated for fit and condition by a saddle fitter during your trial period.
- These terms are valid for saddle trials within the contiguous United States. Saddle sales outside of this area are final and do not include a trial period.
Limitations on Saddle Usage and Wear:
All saddles Taken on Trial:
- Wear riding boots. To prevent accidental damages, please NO half chaps, chaps, or zippers.
- Please do not put leathers through keepers. Please contain the leathers within a sock or soft material.
- Please use discretion when mounting or dismounting, taking care not to rub zippers, belt buckles or other objects on the saddle.
- On all NEW saddles we ask that you wrap all stirrup leathers with tube socks, cellophane or another soft material. Please NO vet wrap.
- Please take caution, as any saddle(s) taken out on trial must be returned in the same condition as when it left Skylands Saddlery, or there will be surcharges for damages.
Any saddle returned with excessive wear (rub marks on the flaps, scratches in the leather surface, dings, bite marks, missing parts, including covers if applicable, etc...) will be automatically assessed a surcharge of a minimum 10% of the saddle's value. Skylands Saddlery reserves the right to determine damage based on returned condition vs. taken out condition.
We understand that saddles will be girthed and expect to see billet marks.
Saddle Fitting and Adjustments:
- Skylands Saddlery will make minor saddle fitting adjustments that will be adequate for a short-term trial period.
- Skylands Saddlery does not guarantee fit and cannot guarantee this adjustment will be adequate for ongoing use.
- We recommend after purchase having the saddle evaluated by an authorized saddle fitter. We will gladly arrange for a saddle fitting appointment.
Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions during your saddle trial.
Thank you for choosing Skylands Saddlery!